New Zealand will begin their post World Cup journey with a two Tests series against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka from Wednesday. This series is the part of inaugural World Test Championship and both teams would love to start their campaign on a winning note. Sri Lanka would take the advantage of spin friendly home conditions and on the other hand, New Zealand will be keen to repeat their last year’s series winning performance in the UAE.
Match Details :
Match : SL vs NZ, first Test, Test series, New Zealand tour of Sri Lanka
Date and Time : 14 August 2019, 10 AM (IST)
Venue : Galle International Stadium, Galle
Sri Lanka Team News, Expected Playing XI and Squad
Team News :
1. Angelo Mathews, Niroshan Dickwella, Dinesh Chandimal and spinner Akila Dananjaya have returned to Test side.
2. Angelo Mathews, Dimuth Karunaratne, Oshada Fernando, Kusal Mendis, Kusal Perera, Dananjaya de Silva, Suranga Lakmal and Akila Dananjaya are certain to be part of playing XI.
3. In the last Test series Lahiru Thirimanne opened with Karunaratne but if Chandimal comes into the XI then Thirimanne can be left out and Oshada might open.
Expected Playing XI :
1. Dimuth Karunaratne (c) 2. Lahiru Thrimanne 3. Kusal Mendis 4. Angelo Mathews 5. Kusal Perera 6. Niroshan Dickwella (wk) 7. Dananjaya de Silva 8. Akila Dananjaya 9. Suranga Lakmal 10. Lasith Embuldeniya 11. Lahiru Kumara
Sri Lanka squad :
Dimuth Karunaratne(c), Oshada Fernando, Kusal Mendis, Dinesh Chandimal, Angelo Mathews, Kusal Perera(w), Dhananjaya de Silva, Suranga Lakmal, Lahiru Kumara, Akila Dananjaya, Lakshan Sandakan, Niroshan Dickwella, Lasith Embuldeniya, Vishwa Fernando, Lahiru Thirimanne
New Zealand Team News, Expected Playing XI and Squad :
Team News :
1. All rounder Mitchell Santner who hasn’t played a Test due to injuries since December 2017, is making his comeback.
2. Jeet Raval and Tom Latham will open the batting and captain Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor and Henry Nicholls will bat in the middle order.
3. All rounder Mitchell Santner, Ajaz Patel, William Somerville and Todd Astle are New Zealand’s spinners and Trent Boult, Neil Wagner, Tim Southee and Colin de Grandhomme are their pacers.
4. If New Zealand goes with three spinners then one of William Somerville and Todd Astle will play and if with three pacers then Neil Wagner will play.
Expected Playing XI :
1. Jeet Raval 2. Tom Latham 3. Kane Williamson (c) 4. Ross Taylor 5. Henry Nicholls 6. BJ Watling (wk) 7. Mitchell Santner 8. Tim Southee 9. Ajaz Patel 10. Trent Boult 11. William Somerville
New Zealand squad :
Jeet Raval, Tom Latham, Kane Williamson (c), Ross Taylor, Henry Nicholls, BJ Watling (wk), Colin de Grandhomme, Todd Astle, Trent Boult, Neil Wagner, Ajaz Patel, William Somerville, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Tom Blundell
Dream 11 Team Prediction :
Wicket keeper – Kusal Perera
Batsman – Kane Williamson, Dimuth Karunaratne, Angelo Mathews, Kusal Mendis and Henry Nicholls
All rounders – Dananjaya de Silva and Mitchell Santner
Bowlers – Akila Dananjaya, Ajaz Patel and Trent Boult
Captain and Vice Captain :
Any two of Kane Williamson, Angelo Mathews and Dananjaya de Silva
1. Kusal Perera is in good form and in home conditions he should continue his good run.
2. Kane Williamson and Henry Nicholls are good player of spin and did very well against Pakistan in the UAE last year.
3. Spinners will play the major role so better to pick more spinners than pacers. In the last Test at Galle (SL vs ENG) spinners picked up 28 wickets.
Stats and trivia :
1. Kane Williamson has scored 968 runs at an average of 80.66 with 3 hundreds against Sri Lanka in Tests.
2. Angelo Mathews averages 57.80 against New Zealand in Tests.
3. Dimuth Karunaratne has 815 Test runs at an average of 47.94 with 2 hundreds in Galle.
4. Kusal Mendis and Angelo Mathews too average over 40 in Tests at this venue (Galle).
5. Ross Taylor averages only 32.53 in 22 Tests on Asian soil.
6. Henry Nicholls has scored 312 runs in 4 Tests on Asia soil with 1 hundred and 2 fifties.